How to translate on /e/ website?
WPML is our tool to manage the different languages on /e/ website
/e/ website is based on the WordPress Content Management System, and we’re using the WPML plugin to manage the different translation of contents, and of course to manage the different translators roles and responsibilities.
As a translator, you have an account to connect to our back office with an “editor” role, meaning you have some rights and responsibilities to change some content (text, pictures) on the web site, but no possibility to impact the website structure and functions.
To connect to your back office, go to https://e.foundation/wp-admin, and log in!
You can now access your back office!
Your back office proposes several accesses. We don’t go deep into all these possibilities, but the most useful for the translation of content are:
- Posts, where you’ll have access to all the posts
- Pages, where you’ll have access to all the pages
- Translations, which show the translation queue you have access to
The translation assignment
There are almost two ways to get involved in the translation of a content:
- First, there is a new content, and the native editor asks for translation. Through the WPML translation management board, he will launch a process that will open translation tasks. You will then receive a dedicated email informing you that there is a translation waiting for you, with a link to the translation edition
- Second, you can decide to act on an already existing translated content. Details shown in the dedicated chapter bellow.
The translation queue
When clicking on the “Translation” menu of your back office, you see the list of contents waiting for you:
You only see here content to be translated for your language(s). You can observe here that there are two different buttons in the list:
- “Take and translate” appears if the content is not specifically assigned to you but you can take over the translation. Content won’t be accessible anymore for other translators.
- “Translate” appears when the content is specifically assigned to you
The translation editor
The translation editor presents the native english content on the left, and the corresponding blocks to be translated on the right:
- If not done yet, you can first “duplicate” the content: english content is then copied and paste in the targeted window.
- Please prefer editing the text as a source code with the “Text” tab, and not with the “View” tab. It avoids some mistakes with text edition, links, and every html parameters included in the source code.
- As soon as a block is finalized, don’t forget to check the “Translation is completed” box. This will increment the progress bar at the bottom of this page.
- At the bottom of the page, you can:
- cancel your work or resign. The translation can therefore be managed by another translator.
- see the progress bar
- and save your work.
- Goal is to achieve 100% of the translation coverage 😉
Editing an existing translation
To edit an existing translation, go on “Posts” or “Pages” menu, and locate the targeted content :
- Then, click on the icon corresponding to the targeted content to be edited. You’ll be directed to the translation editor.