Leaving Apple & Google:
next /e/ release and what features are in the pipeline
We’re working on stabilizing the current /e/ beta so that we can release V1.0 in early 2019.
- It will include an /e/ application repository that will let users install most Android applications, in a couple of clicks. It will show a privacy score for many applications, and unveil the number of trackers and required permissions. This means you have freedom to choose, but inform you about the data privacy implications.
- We are re-evaluating the applications installed by default and some may change in V1.0. Most default apps will also have the capability to be uninstalled. This means /e/ comes with carefully selected default apps, but gives you the freedom to change according to your preferences.
- We are working on the infrastructure underlying /e/, so that we can welcome more users and let people self-host their online services if they choose (drive, calendar, mail…).
Stay tuned for more information soon!
And what’s next?
The project is only one year old!
It’s just the begining of the story and we have a long list of features to be implemented in upcoming releases. In particular, after V1.0 we will be focusing on:
- revamping all the user interfaces for full consistency between the /e/ operating system settings, /e/ default applications, and /e/ online services
- implementing more privacy and security features. We will be introducing a profile system that will get you into different levels of privacy and security depending on your needs
And many more! This project is awesome and has a great potential to give back their data privacy and freedom to users. And the more support we receive, the more we can do, for the good of all.
/e/ beta2 is now supported on 53 different devices! We have just added support for Samsung S9 / S9+, LG G3 (International) and HTC 10 (download, flash and test here).
Do you want more supported devices? Tell us here about the devices you’d like to see. And we are also looking for maintainers to port to new devices.
However, we know that most /e/ supporters are waiting for an /e/ device. We are working on having a limited number of devices available preloaded with /e/ at the V1.0 launch. As many people would like to have the Fairphone loaded with /e/, we’re working on a limited set of /e/-FP2 preloaded. And we’re in the process of selecting a second preloaded device.
It’s VERY important to contribute if you want /e/ to succeed and shape a more ethical IT world, with an open-source and privacy-compliant mobile ecosystem.
In short: contribute as a developer, lend some server capacity, spread the word about /e/ in Internet forums, social media, email, retweet our posts with #eFoundation hashtag…Act now:
- support our Patreon page
- donate some money to the project
- become a backer and get a smartphone with /e/